/

Earthquake Rescue Efforts: Rescue operations intensify as international aid arrive

31 March 2025
53168
2025-03-31 10:07

A powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck Myanmar on March 28, leaving widespread devastation and prompting swift international support.

Relief teams and supplies have been pouring into the affected areas, with teams from China’s Yunnan Province, Hong Kong, India, Singapore, Russia, and Thailand arriving by March 29 and 30. These teams are bringing doctors, medical supplies, rescue equipment, and canine units to assist in the ongoing recovery efforts.

In Nay Pyi Taw, a Chinese rescue team is collaborating with Myanmar's Fire Brigade to rescue those trapped under the rubble of Ottarathiri Hospital. As of Sunday evening, about 20 survivors were successfully rescued from the collapsed building.

Soe Thet Naung, Assistant Director, Ottarathiri Fire Brigade, said " We are conducting rescue operations with three combined rescue teams. So far, we have saved about 20 people, including hospital staff and patients. These survivors have been transferred to hospitals for medical care. We are continuing our search for others trapped under the debris."

The rescue works have been continued with the collective efforts of fire brigade members, Myanmar Police Force and Red Cross members.

Dr Zarchi Soe,Medical Superintendent ,Ottarathiri Hospital, said " Immediately after the earthquake, we began to rescue those affected. Fire brigades, police, and Red Cross teams also joined the operation. On March 28, we rescued 17 patients, with one additional survivor found each on March 29 and 30."

Officials from the Chinese Rescue Team have also emphasized the importance of taking precautions to prevent the outbreak of disease in the wake of the disaster.

 

-- End --