/

Edible Oil Distribution: Only Food Grade Tanks To Be Allowed Starting May 1

27 April 2022
21608
2022-04-27 13:30

Starting from May 1st, only Food Grade Tanks will be allowed for the refill of edible oil from the storage tank, the Ministry of Commerce announced.

Notification has already been made to the stakeholders and edible oil merchant associations since January this year.

According to the announcement, the refill of edible oil will be made only to new yellow Food Grade barrels, tankers that solely transport edible oil, and cleaned Food Grade tanks for the consumers’ safety. It also said that barrels and tankers which do not meet those terms and conditions will not get a refill.

Director, Department of Consumer Affairs, Han Win Kyaw said “We will also arrange vinyl banners to inform the public about the above-mentioned terms and conditions. Moreover, when representatives and merchants from respective States and Regions come to get oil from Yangon oil tanks, they will be allowed only if they use dedicated barrels. We had already informed the regional oil merchants.”

The Ministry is implementing the consumer safety procedures for the edible oil distributed in the market.

Director, Department of Consumer Affairs, Han Win Kyaw said “Edible oil is exported from abroad, and we store it in the shore tanks at Yangon Port and Thilawa Port. We had directed them since January to use Food Grade and cleaned barrels whenever they fill the oil from the shore tanks into the barrels. Tankers must also be Food Grade tankers. Moreover, we closely supervise them not to use the drums that were used to carry chemicals when distributing to the market.”

The Ministry of Commerce is trying to make the exported edible oil to meet the quality, to be healthy and safe, and to be available for purchase at a reasonable price in the market.

-- End --