10 February 2019
A former Miss Costa Rica beauty queen has filed a formal complaint saying the country's ex-president, Oscar Arias, sexually assaulted her in 2015, adding to a growing number of women lodging accusations against the renowned statesman. Ex-beauty pageant winner Yazmin Morales said that Arias forced himself on her at his San Jose home, after he had contacted her from social media.
a lawyer representing Arias, said the defence had received a copy of the new complaint after learning about it in the media. He also said Arias, 78, would not comment out of respect for due process. With Morales, at least six women have said Arias harassed or assaulted them in what has become one of the most prominent examples of the #MeToo movement in Latin America.
The Costa Rican prosecutor's office confirmed it received a new sexual abuse complaint against Arias on Thursday night, saying the new complaint would be added to the earlier investigation. Only Arce and Morales have so far filed formal complaints.