Death toll from Papua New Guinea quake crosses 100

12 March 2018

The death toll from a 7.5-magnitude earthquake that struck Papua New Guinea last month is estimated to have reached more than 100, the national emergency controller said yesterday. The quake hit the provinces of Southern Highlands and a heavily forested region about 560 kilometers northwest of the capital Port on Feb 26. It caused widespread destruction to infrastructure and left thousands homeless. The official said the exact death toll was not immediately known because of the number of people buried under rubble. It most likely stands between 100 and 200, adding to which he said 17,000 people have been left homeless.